1. Exercism maintainers

Just letting @ghaberek and @petelomax know that they are now maintainers of the Euphoria track on Exercism. See https://exercism.org/tracks/euphoria

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Exercism maintainers

axtens_bruce said...

404 for me. Euphoria also not listed on the /tracks page.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Exercism maintainers

euphoric said...

404 for me. Euphoria also not listed on the /tracks page.

Hasn't been officially launched. Still waiting on the logo builder and the code editor syntax colouration person.

-Bruce

4. Re: Exercism maintainers

Hello @ghaberek and @petelomax.

Please test the Euphoria track on Exercism. See https://exercism.org/tracks/euphoria .

Break it. Then tell me how you broke it. Or break it and fix it yourself, seeing as you have full admin rights.

When it comes to updating the track, please fork it and do PRs from the fork so that we've multiple eyes on the changes.

Please check the documentation.

Once we get the logo dealt with we can launch (that's now in process.) The syntax colouring doesn't have to be in place immediately. But we need to assure higher-ups that we've given the track a thorough shaking and nothing larger than a fly's nose-ring has fallen out.

-Bruce

5. Re: Exercism maintainers

6. Re: Exercism maintainers

petelomax said...

Grrr

7. Re: Exercism maintainers

Okay. Both of you are now full maintainers. Have just seen a message from Erik Schierboom to that effect. @petelomax and @ghaberek welcome aboard.

8. Re: Exercism maintainers

Yeah! no 404! OK, that's the first 20 done, now what? smile

hamming: I first returned -1 for errors, and noticed expected/got are the wrong way round:

failed: disallow first strand longer, expected: -1 but got: "left and right strands must be of equal length"

9. Re: Exercism maintainers

Ok, so the t_hamming.e file is pointing to the local hamming.ex which is empty. The working example.ex is in .meta.

It'll take you a while but the Docs are important: https://exercism.org/docs/building

So yeah, I've thrown you in the deep end.

Make a fork of https://github.com/exercism/euphoria, and acquaint yourself with the infrastructure.

-Bruce

10. Re: Exercism maintainers

Sorry, what I meant is simply that std/unittest.e defines

public procedure test_equal(sequence name, object expected, object outcome) 

so the 2nd & 3rd parameters are the wrong way round for all the tests you've written. Ick.
I'd be tempted to write a test_aquel() shim that just flips them, and copy that into 20 18 files.

UPDATE: Ah, I now see glennj reported the exact same thing yesterday. PR created, merged, and issue closed.

11. Re: Exercism maintainers

axtens_bruce said...

Okay. Both of you are now full maintainers. Have just seen a message from Erik Schierboom to that effect.

Apparently I've been added to Exercism and since then I've been receiving a flurry of notifications from GitHub regarding several projects, mostly from Euphoria and Problem Specifications.

When you first asked about this I thought I would be providing some feedback, technical help, historical context, etc. But now I have this issue assigned with... one hundred and thirty-seven tasks?

I barely have any time to focus on Euphoria itself, and that needs to remain my priority. This feels like a full time job.

-Greg

12. Re: Exercism maintainers

ghaberek said...

Apparently I've been added to Exercism and since then I've been receiving a flurry of notifications from GitHub regarding several projects, mostly from Euphoria and Problem Specifications.

Yeah, it's more than a little bit excessive. I'm going to see what switching the watch settings to "Participating and @mentions" on both repos does.

ghaberek said...

When you first asked about this I thought I would be providing some feedback, technical help, historical context, etc. But now I have this issue assigned with... one hundred and thirty-seven tasks?

I barely have any time to focus on Euphoria itself, and that needs to remain my priority. This feels like a full time job.

I removed you as an assignee on that issue, which will probably make little difference anyway, but you can o/c still contribute should you get the itch.

13. Re: Exercism maintainers

ghaberek said...

But now I have this issue assigned with... one hundred and thirty-seven tasks?

I wouldn't pay much attention to that, unless of course you want to add some exercises. I have that same list in 8th and COBOL and created it simply to keep a track of all the possible exercises that could be written for students to solve.

Sorry to load you two up with irrelevancies. I just wanted you to be invited to the party and be allowed to pull drinks at the bar.

-Bruce

14. Re: Exercism maintainers

Went thru all the hassle of signing up, (far more work than signing up for on-line banking for some reason) just to find out that it is apparently useless. 404, and Euphoria is not listed among the languages available. But that's ok, it's only been a few years.... give 'em time.

Instead, let's try one which is listed: C. I know there'll be some useful examples there, right?

#include "hello_world.h" 

// Define the function itself. 
const char *hello(void) 
{ 
   return "Hello, World!"; 
} 

Press the test button. It passes.

OK, change the message to "Hello, world!" and it fails, even though there is nothing wrong with the code or the program.

TEST FAILURE 
Expected 'Hello, World!' Was 'Hello, world!' 

How is this going to help anyone who is trying to learn a programming language?

I'll bet half the people who try it just laugh at that point and go elsewhere.

And yeah, I know it is just a test to see how well "you vill follow orders!" Bunch of control freaks, apparently, given how much trouble it is to even sign up.

Way too much crap to go thru, not worth my time.

15. Re: Exercism maintainers

irv said...

Went thru all the hassle of signing up, (far more work than signing up for on-line banking for some reason)

For a bank, you're a paying customer, and if something is too hard folks will take their business elsewhere.

You get what you pay for I guess..

irv said...

just to find out that it is apparently useless. 404, and Euphoria is not listed among the languages available. But that's ok, it's only been a few years.... give 'em time.

Actually, if you were interested, this is something to reach out to Bruce. He should be able to resolve this for you, if you were interested in moving forward.

irv said...

Instead, let's try one which is listed: C.

And the whole world shuttered.

irv said...

OK, change the message to "Hello, world!" and it fails, even though there is nothing wrong with the code or the program.

TEST FAILURE 
Expected 'Hello, World!' Was 'Hello, world!' 

How is this going to help anyone who is trying to learn a programming language?

While not helping with the language directly, it's an important lesson. This is known as a brittle unit test.

This is an important concept that I wish more professional senior software developers knew about, nevermind coding newbies.

irv said...

I'll bet half the people who try it just laugh at that point and go elsewhere.

My take is that it provides a platform to experiment on. Turn code into a malleable toy like Play Doh. But it runs on their system so you can just close your browser and your computer is clean.

Also, by trying to tell you what went wrong, at least it's exposing newbies to the real error messages that professional devs will see.

irv said...

And yeah, I know it is just a test to see how well "you vill follow orders!" Bunch of control freaks, apparently,

I imagine that for the Euphoria track, this is something we can have Bruce sort out (to use "Hello, world" as the grammatically correct standard instead of "Hellow, World").

irv said...

given how much trouble it is to even sign up.

My understanding is that Exercism went with the way that was easier for them - defer everything - for free (beer) - to the M$ owned Github.

Perhaps it's not the best, but it's not like we're paying them to do better by runing their own user database on their own server or something.

Again, you get what you pay for, I guess..

irv said...

Way too much crap to go thru, not worth my time.

I ... don't know what to tell you. This is what I've had to put up with for the last decade as a professional senior dev. I mean, unit tests.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu